Kings Park West Community Association

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

May 9, 2018

Board Members in Attendance:  Nancy Grant, Larry Velte, Maureen Pettis, Mark Heppner, Jim Bovino, Jillian Mueller, and Carol LaRosa.

Special Guest:  Ms. Adrienne Barna, Kings Park West Civic Association at-large member.

Meeting called to order:  7:30 p.m.

KPW Civic Association Request:  Board approved, 7-0, a motion to approve land usage for public notice signboards.  Ms. Barna, on behalf of the KPW Civic Association, requested permission from the Community Association board for the Civic Association to obtain a permit from Fairfax County to replace the three KPW public notice signboards.  The Civic Association will pay for installation of new signboards at Twinbrook/Guinea Road and Commonwealth Blvd, Roberts Road and Commonwealth Blvd, and Tapestry Drive and Braddock Road intersections if approved.  Board also will recommend to the Civic Association that a double sided sign is installed at the Tapestry and Braddock intersection.

Approval of April 2018 Meeting Minutes:  Approved 6-0.

Treasurer’s Report:  April 2018 financials reflected the following: one CAB Operating Account with a balance of $13,000.14; two general fund CD's with balances of $5,367.72 and $5,351.68; one Reserve Study CD with a balance of $19,165.39; Other Current Assets with balances of $5,373.99 (Accounts Receivable - $6,138.41; Allowance for Bad Debts - ($1,066.88); Interest Receivable - $1.27; Prepaid Expenses - $301.19); bringing the total assets to a balance of $48,258.92. 

  • Board transferred $1000 from the CAB Operating Account into the Reserve Study CD.
  • Board transferred $2840 from the Reserve Study CD to the CAB Operating Account to pay for the maintenance and refurbishment of the brick walls at both ends of Commonwealth Blvd.

Old Business:

  • Annual Assessments – Ten properties still have liens due to unpaid annual assessments owed to KPWCA.
  • Tree Removal – JL Tree Service will be paid for taking down marked trees on Bessmer Lane. Board will ask for estimates for removing tree on Nottinghill Road and Tapestry Drive.  
  • Rabbit Branch – The Board provided HOA attorney and management company copies of correspondence related to erosion issue along Tapestry Drive.
  • NVTC – The Association will continue to engage with Supervisor John Cook's office concerning the need for stormwater management improvements necessitated by upstream development of the Northern Virginia Training Center site and the area northeast of Braddock Road and Roberts Road. HOA members are encouraged to attend the next public meetings scheduled for May 24, 2018 (NVTC project) and June 18, 2018 (Braddock/Roberts project). [Post hoc: the June 18 meeting has been rescheduled for July 2.}
  • Prepare for Annual Meeting – Scheduled for May 23, 2018. Two Board positions are up for election.  Board mailed notification letters to HOA members.  Copies of agenda and budget will be provided to attendees.
  • Correspondence – Board will send letter to HOA member on Tapestry Court about encroachment into HOA common area.

New Business:

Hearing no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:41 p.m.

# # #